Get PC error-free in minutes
This user guide will help you if you receive the Novell error 8993.
0x8993 DO NOT READ PRIVATE FILE
Explanation: An attempt was made to read a file without read permissions, who can read the file.
This is interesting, to say the least, and doesn’t appear to be documented in MicroFocus or very noticeable. I may have to comb through Cool Solutions for this.
The problem system is your Windows XP SP3 virtual machine running VBox on Linux. The VM has Terminal Services components installed, so they behave the same (i.e. multiple independent desktop connections are allowed).
The virtual machine is also running Novell Client Windows as version 4.91 SP5 IR2 connecting to eDirectory 8.8.
Surprisingly, this morning a brand new user reported being unable to log in. After entering the password and clicking OK after the popup he got:
Novell Security Tips
An internal error 0x00008993 has occurred. Please try again.
If the error persists during this time, reboot yourself and your workstation.
If the error persists, contact your administratorcommercial organization.
Check the “Only my computer” box to enable a local connection to this workstation.
- Not applicable
- Unable to connect (probably workstation only at first, out of N, later)
- Connection failed, but final script results report similar error 8993
When I was looking for MicroFocus support (I miss the old Novell webshop so much!), the closest solution I found was:
(with occasional reboots to make sure I’m reading the windows registry), with no benefits (or variables).
Finally, I uninstalled NICI and reinstalled the client (i.e. reinstalled NICI).
This fixed the issue for both disease profiles, sothe one that worked always worked.
The VM is rebooted every day at 4:00 AM (of course, this is still Windows, and the memory is leaked as a filter, so it won’t be usable without a daily reboot on the second day after availability). This has worked well lately (and for ten years). I have no idea what broke it. I also didn’t check the event log for clues. I will post this update if there is anything important.
Launch AdminUI and when creating a new ACO set the value of this multiline with 255 values in AgentName like this:
Then the admin UI and policy server show an error while saving the current configuration:
Error: Task failed.
Fatal error: Unable to execute CreateAgentConfigEvent.
ERROR MESSAGE: SmApiWrappedException:CA.SM::
[email protected] -01017f0090dd: Creation error. (Unknown Pure mistake)
[53946/4023868272][Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:16:44 AM] [SmObjProvider.cpp:187][ERROR][sm-Server-03090] Retention policy failed during save operation for object of class “Properties” ‘. LDAP error creating new Object
property [53946/-271099024] [Thu Nov 09 2017 10:16:44 AM] [SmAdapterPropertySection.cpp:528] [Save] [ERROR] [sm-xadobj -00110 ] CA .SM::[email protected]: Failed to create. (Unknown error)
[53946/-271099024][Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:16:44 AM][SmStore.cpp:326][Create][ERROR][sm-xobsm-00960] Error starting object generator. (CA.[53946/-271099024][Do sm::[email protected](aco-test))
Nov 2009 2017 10:16:44][XPSIO.Previous cpp
Nov [ 53946/-271099024][tu 09 2017 10:16:44][XPSPolicyData.cpp:1244][CommitOrTestRollback][ERROR][sm-xpsxps-00740] xps COMMIT transaction failed.
[53946/-271099024 ] [ Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:16:44 AM] [XPSPolicyData.cpp:409] [CreateOrUpdateImpl][ERROR][CA-SM-Assert] Assert failed: Commit()